What is use of boarding enemy ships?

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

What is use of boarding enemy ships?

Post by Smiling_Spectre »

First at all, I must confess that I don't understand boarding at all.

See, game says that I must disable ship before boarding. But I am in the middle game, and still haven't any means to do that! There is no any "disabling" weapons. I have some missiles, torpedoes and lasers that claims that they can destroy internal systems - but I am killing with them much faster than having "disable" anything, especially engines.

As I have troop pods right from the start, I suspect that I am missing something terribly obvious here.

Second question is: what is meaning of this boarding? I can (and must) board probe at the start of the game, so I expected subversion of the ship to my cause... it didn't happen. What can I expect from it then?

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Re: What is use of boarding enemy ships?

Post by keller »

See, game says that I must disable ship before boarding. But I am in the middle game, and still haven't any means to do that! There is no any "disabling" weapons. I have some missiles, torpedoes and lasers that claims that they can destroy internal systems - but I am killing with them much faster than having "disable" anything, especially engines.
A few things on boarding vessels. First, Bare in mind that some races are simply not fit for boarding. Also you must reach level 5 on any weapon tech before you start getting the benefits of internal damage.

In order to board an enemy ship Your ship must be equipped with an assault shuttle and an armory and the target ship must be disabled. Additionally, if the target ship has any shields they must be down at the time you issue a boarding order.

When it comes to boarding, transporters are a game changer. They have much farther range than an assault shuttle and I'll let you figure out the rest on this.

Hope this helps.
keller~

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

keller wrote:A few things on boarding vessels. First, Bare in mind that some races are simply not fit for boarding. Also you must reach level 5 on any weapon tech before you start getting the benefits of internal damage.
Well, I have it. Problem is - all my weapons are too overpowered. And I mostly kill anyone whom I am trying to disable. Also, when disabling works, it works for wrong components. Am I need to aim at the tail section? Is some weapons better with it than other? Non-lethal weapon would be the best, but I suppose, it not exist...
In order to board an enemy ship Your ship must be equipped with an assault shuttle and an armory and the target ship must be disabled. Additionally, if the target ship has any shields they must be down at the time you issue a boarding order.
Yeah, I figured it - only hadn't any chance to use it. :)

Also, is it enough to breach one shield, or I need to destroy all 4?
Hope this helps.
Last unanswered question: what can I expect from the boarding? Immediate subversion, ship disabling, after-battle subversion - what? :)

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

Am I need to aim at the tail section?
One would think so but it is not always the case. Lazors will damage engines.
Also, is it enough to breach one shield, or I need to destroy all 4?
You only need to breech the shield that is facing your ship
what can I expect from the boarding? I
The enemy ship will continue to fight until all its crew are dead. At this point the ship becomes yours.
keller~

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

keller wrote:The enemy ship will continue to fight until all its crew are dead. At this point the ship becomes yours.
Aha, got it. Thank you.

Can I reclaim first probe this way? (Why not, actually? Seems like design omission! :D

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Probes aren't like 'normal' ships so they can't be controlled after boarding them.

As for other ships obtained from boarding, you can scrap them for a chance to obtain new technology.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:Probes aren't like 'normal' ships so they can't be controlled after boarding them.
1. There are more than one in game? %) Seems, I missed it!

2. Why not? Well, ok, I can live without owning alien probe. But maybe destroy it afterwards then, automatically? What use of it? :)
As for other ships obtained from boarding, you can scrap them for a chance to obtain new technology.
Ah, great feature, I hoped for something like that. :D

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Probe is unique. It's only possible through modding script missions right now to build them.

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bansheedragon »

Smiling_Spectre wrote:
Zaimat wrote:Probes aren't like 'normal' ships so they can't be controlled after boarding them.
1. There are more than one in game? %) Seems, I missed it!

2. Why not? Well, ok, I can live without owning alien probe. But maybe destroy it afterwards then, automatically? What use of it? :)
If you are referring to the probe you board when playing a mission based game, you can just destroy that probe yourself.
Just blow it up after you boarded it, it will not have any effect on your standing with that race.

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Bansheedragon wrote:If you are referring to the probe you board when playing a mission based game, you can just destroy that probe yourself.
Just blow it up after you boarded it, it will not have any effect on your standing with that race.
Well, I did. But it feels wrong, as it wasn't hostile, so after initial boarding I hadn't reason to destroy it. :) In my opinion, it must be removed automatically. :)

Bullwinkle
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Bullwinkle »

Do you gain technology when you board a ship or do you just gain the ship? If you gain the ship, does it count toward command points? This area of the game is rather confusing. The tutorial probably said, but that was a long time ago. And if you can't disable the enemy's engines till lasers are researched to level 5, this seems more of a mid-game tactic. Kind of points newbies in the wrong direction when the first thing you have to do in the default game mode is learn about mid-game tactics by building a boarding ship and boarding the probe. Same with missions where you meet enemies in the very early game who you won't be able to kill for a long time. There are a lot of things that give this game a bad first impression/confusing start/point you in the wrong direction. Boarding the probe as your first mission is one example. This seems like an OK game, but you really need to get past a confusing/frustrating/counter-intuitive hump to discover that the game is actually OK. So having said that, does successful boarding always give techs? Sometimes? Or is it only when you board the probe? I've got my lasers up to level 7 and still haven't boarded anyone. I stopped putting assault shuttles on my ships early on, cuz they weren't useful early on, as I understand it. If I do knock out an enemy's engines, is the tiny text in the upper left the only way to know for sure?

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Bullwinkle wrote:So having said that, does successful boarding always give techs? Sometimes? Or is it only when you board the probe?
Last one. Any other boarding gives you the ship in question - except cases when it destroys the ship. :)
If I do knock out an enemy's engines, is the tiny text in the upper left the only way to know for sure?
Actually, all damages are described in the scan window. :)

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Scrapping a ship that you captured will give you a chance to discover any unknown tech.

Access to Transporters technology will allow you to board mobile ships (as long as their shields are down or if they don't have any).

While Lasers 5 with Critical Strike make it a lot more viable, all weapons have a small chance to do critical strikes every hit which is augmented by crew level.

Boarding can be very powerful so we had to be a little careful so it doesn't break balance.

Bullwinkle
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Bullwinkle »

Very helpful. Thank you.