My complaining and suggestions for the last version

Feature requests or ideas
Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

My complaining and suggestions for the last version

Post by Smiling_Spectre »

Well, I think, I seen this game enough to express (and sometimes repeat) my concerns about last addon. :) So here are they, in the random order (and sorry for the overly long post. :(

1. In the new edition missiles and torpedoes was nerfed, in relation to the shields. It effectively made it totally obsolete, if opponent have shields. Why do I need weapon that fires only once, and cannot destroy anyone?! In my encounter with the planets, no planet can deplete even one shield of mothership - and this is maximum possible missile shot!

I see one possible solution, that will made this weapon at least partially effective: rechargeable missiles/torpedoes. If I could fire them not once per battle, but once per 3 turns or so, it will made it much more useful.

But this solution will not help with the planet, as they have the missiles each turn. It not helps anything... if not paired with the beam defense! So possible proposal: maybe exchange missile with beams in default technologies for this purpose? Beam defense alone is effective, unlike missiles, and coupled with strategically placed missiles it can be deadly. Just what any sane governor want. :)

2. Diplomacy. It still didn't change, regardless that game already have everything needed! :( I missed exchanges and offers! I have no idea why it still doesn't implemented, as game have all this options already - only not for player. Let me elaborate a bit:

2.1. I need ability to ask (not demand) for a technology, planet or money, and receive "we will agree if you'll give us X". It's totally in game, only applied to demands, peace offers and such. Computer can do such demands, and I can haggle exactly for the same exchange.

2.2. I need ability to offer technology, planet and money (pure money, not X%) as free gift. Right now I can offer only tributes/treaties, that is what I want by form - but needed options are missed. I believe, opponent can offer me at least technologies.

2.3. I need ability to fair trade ("what can you give me for X?") that is reversed 2.1.

I would be happy with Master of Magic style here: each city, spell and sum of money have it's diplomatic value (hidden from the player, of course), and while you can haggle for good deal, relationships will improve if your deal is benefiting opponent and deteriorate, if you have better outcome (modified by appropriate techs, of course). I believe, something like that implemented already, but I am not totally sure.

3. There is one problem with the planet list: it have near not enough columns.

While I can specialize planet in money, industry, agriculture or science, I can see only money!

I am totally missing "Production" and "Science". And while I, personally, never use agriculture in my calculations, I believe, it's needed here too.

Another useful field could be "planet type", but *sigh* I can live without it.

4. Planet view suffers from the several possible problems in my opinion:

4.1. While I can see extra bonuses in the system view, they are invisible in the planet view. And they would be very useful here, considering planet development path. I would be glad to see it right at the correspondent field, in the any form: color highlight of the word "Industry" (farming, etc), any symbol near this word (correspondent one, or simply asterisk), or maybe the same effect applied right to the exact numbers of production/tourism/etc. At least, planet can have correspondent symbol somewhere near it's name.

4.2. Similar problem exist with the stations/shipyards. While I can see needed symbols in the system view, when I am at the planet view, I still can see all planets in the system, but cannot see orbitals. It's important when I want to build some ships in the same system, so can it be added, please?

4.3. Can I ask for any indication of the "optimal" condition of the given planet? Like, say, highlight words "Ecology control" with green or something like that, easily spotted? When I have the planets of the several different races, futile attempts to terraform eats too much of my time. :/

4.4. I am missing ability to go right to the planet at the global map. It have somewhat specific uses, but most transparent one is enemy attacks/blockading. I have ability in the planet list, but if I am going other way (from the direct planet scrolling, or from the event list), I need to return to the list, press "locate", then close the list. Too long. Can I ask for the button "Locate" at the planet view that will find the system on map and automatically will close planet view? :)

5. Same problem with the "find the planet" exist with the "find the technology". Message about technological advancement leads me right to this technology tree - that is right. But if I want to correct my research fields, I need to return back to the map, and press "Tech" button from here. Can I ask for direct "go to science screen" button from the technology tree?

6. Two concerns about battle view.

6.1. I cannot distinct "fresh" ships from the "exhausted". It somewhat limiting my strategy, in relation to order of attacks and calculations for the my ships. Can I ask for the any symbol near a ship that will show it's ability to act this turn? I can imagine something like green arrow for the "fresh" ships, hourglass for the "delaying" and nothing for "exhausted". Same is needed for the enemy, of course, otherwise it will be very limited usefulness. :)

6.2. In the big battles skipping my ships can be very tedious. Can I ask for the ability to skip my ships altogether? Putting it into "defending" state, or something? (Regarding #6.1, it could be shield near the ship). Only problem with it is that if I want to "revive" ship, I need the ability to do it. I can suggest simple click by such ship at the any time, then de-selecting "shield". Of course, it must not make this ship active, only put it back to the order queue.

6.3. Oh, and another concern! If I am selecting ship, other from active one, I have feeling that this immediately ends my "old" turn, and skips whole queue, up to this ship. It can be disaster in some battles. Can I ask for ability to select ships in the any order, without consequences - but allowing only "no-action actions"? Like checking my systems, offline/online shields and weapons, go to "Defence" state or out of it (non-realized right now :) and planning my movements? Actual action - like movement itself, firing or boarding - cannot be implemented, of course, before ship's turn. And taking direct control of ship (and skipping all others) must have warning about consequences! (But I must say that I seen such behavior in the my initial games, before last two patches, and never tried it afterwards. Maybe it's not the problem anymore - or never was the problem).

7. I have the feeling that Galactic Council works solely basing on the amount of the races? (It always failed to select the leader for me). Can it be changed, based on the amount of the Universe population or the amount of the planets, or it would be non-practical?

8. Fleets. They are still too small, still missing "action" icons (can I repeat my request for it? Thank you), and still can be selected only one-by-one. Ouch. Can I ask at least for the ability of "multi-select" several fleets with the Shift button (with the ability to give one order to everyone)? Please?

9. Minor issue with the turn processing: I would be glad to have warning about my idle ships before turn will really ends. I missing some ships now and again because of that. And if it's too boring for someone, or people are happy with having tons of roaming ships, that could be easily corrected with the tick in the options.

10. Minor complain about Terran worlds: While they looks great in the miniature planet view, and exactly as I expecting from it (blue seas, white clouds and everything), both models - in the planet view and in the planet list - suffers from being too red. While all other planet types are quite similar in miniature and 3D-view, terrans transforms from the green-blue-white world to the dark-green/brown-dark blue/red-grey/red one. And in the planet lists it gives them absolutely "dirty" view, browny-red with touch of dark blue. Meh. Can it be saturated more, and less red, please? (Actually, all planets suffers from being too red for some mysterious reason, but with all others it not makes it too different from the miniature view).

Well... I think, that's all for now. And sorry again for the overly lengthy post.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: My complaining and suggestions for the last version

Post by Zaimat »

Thank you for the detailed suggestions/feedback.
Smiling_Spectre wrote:7. I have the feeling that Galactic Council works solely basing on the amount of the races? (It always failed to select the leader for me). Can it be changed, based on the amount of the Universe population or the amount of the planets, or it would be non-practical?
If I understood you correctly here - when it's your turn to vote, if you click on yourself (the ambassador representing your race) you will be nominated as a leader and the others can vote for you.

As for the council votes, they are based on strength of the race (in effect the cumulative score of many factors).
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:Thank you for the detailed suggestions/feedback.
And thank you for being so responsive! :)

In my experience, only Arcen Games reacts your way, for the reports. Most other either answers my posts once or twice, or never surfaced at all. :) Thank you! :)
If I understood you correctly here - when it's your turn to vote, if you click on yourself (the ambassador representing your race) you will be nominated as a leader and the others can vote for you.
You understood even what I didn't ask... and thank you for the info, it's not obvious! :)
As for the council votes, they are based on strength of the race (in effect the cumulative score of many factors).
Ah, so it already set this way. Good. Maybe you can give more detailed statistics after voting then? Like "Terrans - 1024 votes, Kort'hanz - 20856 votes, etc, no 60% voted for anyone"?

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Smiling_Spectre wrote: Ah, so it already set this way. Good. Maybe you can give more detailed statistics after voting then? Like "Terrans - 1024 votes, Kort'hanz - 20856 votes, etc, no 60% voted for anyone"?
You can see the votes when hovering over the race / icons at any point during the council.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:You can see the votes when hovering over the race / icons at any point during the council.
Oh! Not very obvious feature!

Thank you again! :D