Where are my troops?! %)

Report bugs or help with technical issues
Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Where are my troops?! %)

Post by Smiling_Spectre »

While sometimes I have soldiers on the freshly colonized planet (I never had idea where they come from), just now I stumbled in the totally opposite problem.

My Human invading forces attacked Varaian planet. I told "retreat" to all my ground troops then lost 3 or 4 attacking ships and destroyed opposition completely. Regardless of my "ground retreat", I had option to invade assaulted planet, and I used it. 250k against 150k ground forces=total win with 50k losses.

But after battle I seen something very strange: I have the planet, all right, but zero soldiers on it! (well, 5k actually, but nothing like 200k). Moreover, _all_ my ground forces are empty! It is 250k+85k fleets.

While 85k could be simple my omission, of course, where did this 250k gone?! %)

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Where are my troops?! %)

Post by Zaimat »

Can you send an error report so I can check autosaves and try to reproduce it if it's a bug.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:Can you send an error report so I can check autosaves and try to reproduce it if it's a bug.
It works _this_ way? I could guess. :) Ok, I'll try...

Ha, it's exactly last autosave. Lucky me! :)

Huh. Another bug report here then.

1. Regardless of selected English, game launcher still uses my native Russian (game itself is English, allright). It never bother me... until today.

2. Pressing "Report the problem" leads only to "Cannot found file specified". Something with paths?

(I am using Russian Windows 8.1 Pro, if it matters).

Tell me again, please, Zaimat, how to found saves, and where to send them? Thank you.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

To send it manually, use rar or 7zip, the folder is C:\Users\"user profile"\Documents\Horizon Game
You can archive that whole folder and email to support@horizongame.com

The game launcher uses windows to detect language so it's normal it will be russian if OS is russian. But I am not sure why "Report an issue" is not working, I will investigate with Russian Win 8.1.

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:To send it manually, use rar or 7zip, the folder is C:\Users\"user profile"\Documents\Horizon Game
You can archive that whole folder and email to support@horizongame.com
I can... but I better will not. :) It's 30Mb per save, and 50+ MB archive in total. I packed most older ones (you need oldest one anyway) and sent to support.
The game launcher uses windows to detect language so it's normal it will be russian if OS is russian. But I am not sure why "Report an issue" is not working, I will investigate with Russian Win 8.1.
I suspect Russian naming convention. While under "normal" file manager (that is Total Commander for me) I see your path with Users and Documents folders, and I can do cd c:\Users\etc as well, under Windows Explorer I see Russian names instead. "Пользователи" instead "Users" and "Документы" instead "Documents". But I have no idea, if it can confuse launcher, as game itself have no problems with it.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Thanks for the report, now that it is resolved.

I tried Russian launcher report link and it works OK for me on Win7, I will check Win 8.1 also. Can you send the logs after with the following steps?

1. Run launcher, click "report an issue", close launcher
2. Email the whole "Horizon game" folder minus the saves

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:Thanks for the report, now that it is resolved.
Thank you! :)
I tried Russian launcher report link and it works OK for me on Win7, I will check Win 8.1 also. Can you send the logs after with the following steps?

1. Run launcher, click "report an issue", close launcher
2. Email the whole "Horizon game" folder minus the saves
Is it necessary?.. Ah, wait, it's "documents" folder, not game folder. Got it. :) Will do.

Also, I'll put emphasis to my other associated question: what about already existing troops on the non-colonized planets? Where are they came from?

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Zaimat wrote:Also, I'll put emphasis to my other associated question: what about already existing troops on the non-colonized planets? Where are they came from?
Normal way is only if you land troops or build barracks. May be if colony with troops was abandoned and then re-colonized this is also possible.

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:Normal way is only if you land troops or build barracks.
Aha, exactly what I thought. Looks like the bug then. :)
May be if colony with troops was abandoned and then re-colonized this is also possible.
Well, I seen it quite often... Too bad that in the current game there is almost no non-colonized planets, so I cannot check it.

Anyway - is it logical, to have alive soldiers on the dead planet? :) (Oh, they could be not alive, but deep frozen cyborgs, actually... and it's even explains why capturing ships/attacking planets/re-fill troops is not very hard for planets too... ;) Anyway: is it worth to be eliminated (maybe retain barracks, but not soldiers?), or it's better to accept as fleur of the "non-human" troops?.. :)

---addition---
I checked logs, and it seems, it's simpler to put it here entirely. It's not much anyway:
Launcher initialized
Populating resolutions
Populated resolutions
Getting settings file path
Settings file path C:\Users\Oleg\Documents\Horizon Game\Horizon.ini
Populating Defaults
Populated Defaults
Updating form
Form updated
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Не удается найти указанный файл
в System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
в System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
в System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
в System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(String fileName)
в Launcher.LauncherForm.lnkReportIssue_LinkClicked(Object sender, LinkLabelLinkClickedEventArgs e)
"Не удается найти указанный файл"="Target file cannot be found".

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

I don't think there is a bug with soldiers. I think what you are seeing is when a colony is abandoned/population exterminated or the colony is destroyed from orbit some buildings can survive. When re-colonized, if there is surviving barracks it will immediately start training new soldiers and I think this is what you are noticing. See in your games if there is barracks when you notice it next time.

Thanks for the launcher log info, will investigate.

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:When re-colonized, if there is surviving barracks it will immediately start training new soldiers and I think this is what you are noticing. See in your games if there is barracks when you notice it next time.
There are barracks here, of course. I never seen soldiers on the planet _without_ barracks any time.

Current problem (if take as fact that it's old barracks) is that, as I think, there are also _too many_ soldiers to be explained as "start training". I think, it's thousands initially, not hundreds that you can expect with newly trained forces. As if your barracks never stopped to produce troops, regardless of actual population or lack of it.

But I can be wrong here, as I didn't pay close attention to the exact numbers. I'll check it next time, of course.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

For Launcher Error Reporting link - I tried Win 8.1 x 64 and Russian language launcher but did not see the problem.

Can you confirm two things for me?

1. Is the game installed under C:\Users\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\Horizon\
2. Do you see the file named ErrorReportingTool (ErrorReportingTool.exe if extensions aren't hidden)

You can run the file manually from here if it exists in the future as well.

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:For Launcher Error Reporting link - I tried Win 8.1 x 64 and Russian language launcher but did not see the problem.

Can you confirm two things for me?

1. Is the game installed under C:\Users\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\Horizon\
1. No. It's in E:\Steam\Steamapps...
2. Even if it would be C, it would be C:\Program Files (x86), not Users (mistype suspected. :)
2. Do you see the file named ErrorReportingTool (ErrorReportingTool.exe if extensions aren't hidden)

You can run the file manually from here if it exists in the future as well.
Huh. I cannot see ErrorReportingTool anywere. Seems, we found the root of the problem.

...Aha. It's my bold antivirus. It totally sure that this file is horrendous Trojan.Downloader. (I hope, it isn't? :) I'll try to do something with it...

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Ah that explains it, false positive prevented installation of file.

If you whitelist in your antivirus options the location of the steam directory, then you can run verify integrity of game to restore the missing file(s).

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... &l=english

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:If you whitelist in your antivirus options the location of the steam directory, then you can run verify integrity of game to restore the missing file(s).
Oh, I made it more system way. Reported to authors of the antivirus and they modified testing. :D Problem solved!

And thank you for research the situation.