Galactic Council election

Feature requests or ideas
Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Galactic Council election

Post by Anguille »

I am finally having a game where i manage to be number one and want to win the vote. It's just lately that i realised that not the two highset faction are being proposed but the the highist AI factions. Even if i propose myself, it's very hard to achieve a majority with 3 candidates, especially in the biggest galaxies. Did anyone win by election? I would guess that someone who can win the election has almost conquered the entire map.

I therefore suggest 2 things

a) either to drop down the number of votes required to win.
b) that the candidates are the two strongest factions (either AI or Human).
I may not post so much...but i am here watching!

Kuntari rule the galaxy: an Horizon AAR

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Galactic Council election

Post by Zaimat »

The percentage of influence (votes) required to win is currently set at 60%. What do you feel would be a better threshold based on your game?
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Anguille »

I'd like to hear what other think of this too especially as i am not the greatest player.

Anyway, here are the results of the last election:

Me Kuntari (21.64) with the support of the Humans (5.36) and the Lezguns (11.37) = 38.37

Against the Kort'haz (14.41) and the Gargals (16.75). The Kort'haz are my allies and i therefore "lose" 14.41 votes.

Other votes:

Varaians 7.38
Barsigues 3.24
Harkans 3.62
Kamzaques 11.37
Tantiks 4.84

Even if i had the support of the Kamzaques (but they hate me), i would still barely make 50%. With the diplomacy model (where there's always someone asking to make war to someone else), it's almost impossible to have the remaining small AIs to support you.

At this point, i don't feel any threats anymore (playing on easy), so basically i conquer planets and still create some new colonies (i have about 50 colonies so far). All the techs have been researched. I have the strongest fleet (playing with commando points). I will try to win over the Kamzaques and attack the Gazgals.

My impression is that 51% (a simple majority) would make it.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Anguille wrote:My impression is that 51% (a simple majority) would make it.
Thanks for the breakdown of your game. I do think you raised a good point and a simple majority would work well as it's not that easy to attain either. I'll wait to see if others want to share their opinion but I'm inclined to make the change otherwise.

Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Anguille »

Thanks for taking this into consideration :wink:

Do you think a new steam achievement could be possible? Like winning elections?

Cheers

Wenla
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Wenla »

For me it's OK as it is now (IMHO of course).
You have to have a vision before you can define your strategy

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Anguille wrote:Do you think a new steam achievement could be possible? Like winning elections?
It's a good idea, I've made a note. There have been other requests as well for additional achievements. It's a little bit of work and have to make sure we have translations in all languages.

Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Anguille »

Wenla wrote:For me it's OK as it is now (IMHO of course).
May i ask how many times you've won by election and how long it took? (also maybe you're position in the stats).

Cheers

Wenla
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Wenla »

I should have been more precise. I think that i could have got several times election victory because I 'own' most of the voices (60 - 90%), but I allways abstain. I play 'last man standing'.

So, if you change it, I don't care, but for me it's also good as it is now.

Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Anguille »

I think i am about to change my mind....still in the same game, i almost made it....59 and some votes the previous vote! Almost made it. Then i finished the Varains, hoping to finally have enough votes and then i realised that one of my biggest support race was selected for election....back to less than 50%... :cry:

Now i am in the strange position that i must support my enemies so they can be selected for election again. :roll:

Wenla
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Wenla »

May be that I haven't understood "Abstain" - choice correctly (English is not my native language), but if you have quite lot of voices, doesn't abstain be enough to get "No winner" - situation?

Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Anguille »

Wenla wrote:May be that I haven't understood "Abstain" - choice correctly (English is not my native language), but if you have quite lot of voices, doesn't abstain be enough to get "No winner" - situation?
Indeed. If you have si many voices and you abstain, nobody will be elected.

Xyquas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xyquas »

Due to a lack of time I have only read the starting post in this quest.

My opinion on this is:
  1. Please leave majority as it currently is (at 60%) - it feels perfect for me. I could win without having to conquer more than the half of the galaxy and without every other empire voting for me. I tried this on difficulty settings normal, hard and very hard, so it's a good setting.
  2. I definetely second the suggestion that the player's empire should be included in the possible candidates. So, it should be selecting the two most influential empires regardless of who's playing them. The player's choices should still remain the same: (a) Voting for himself (b) Voting for the other empire (c) not voting (abstain)
PS: I noticed that you get a precalculation of AI votings when you hover over the empire icons with the mouse cursor. When you calculate that no empire can get 60% or more, just abstain from voting and you won't get the malus on diplomatic relationship for the other empires :D
Master Of Orion 2 = Great
Master Of Orion 3 = Trash
Horizon = The real Master Of Orion 3 :-)

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

I definetely second the suggestion that the player's empire should be included in the possible candidates. So, it should be selecting the two most influential empires regardless of who's playing them. The player's choices should still remain the same: (a) Voting for himself (b) Voting for the other empire (c) not voting (abstain)
I do agree with the suggestion but for the time being this isn't doable the way the council system is setup it will always select 2 non-player races before prompting the player to make a decision.
Anguille wrote:I think i am about to change my mind....still in the same game, i almost made it....59 and some votes the previous vote! Almost made it. Then i finished the Varains, hoping to finally have enough votes and then i realised that one of my biggest support race was selected for election....back to less than 50%... :cry:

Now i am in the strange position that i must support my enemies so they can be selected for election again. :roll:
I can see how that can be frustrating. If you vote for your ally though not quite as satisfying as being the emperor yourself you will still win/end the game but under their leadership.

Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Anguille »

Zaimat wrote:
I definetely second the suggestion that the player's empire should be included in the possible candidates. So, it should be selecting the two most influential empires regardless of who's playing them. The player's choices should still remain the same: (a) Voting for himself (b) Voting for the other empire (c) not voting (abstain)
I do agree with the suggestion but for the time being this isn't doable the way the council system is setup it will always select 2 non-player races before prompting the player to make a decision.
Anguille wrote:I think i am about to change my mind....still in the same game, i almost made it....59 and some votes the previous vote! Almost made it. Then i finished the Varains, hoping to finally have enough votes and then i realised that one of my biggest support race was selected for election....back to less than 50%... :cry:

I can see how that can be frustrating. If you vote for your ally though not quite as satisfying as being the emperor yourself you will still win/end the game but under their leadership.
Do you mean that i would get the victory screen and not the loss movie?

Btw....i still haven't finished that game...going towards the 1'000 turns.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Anguille wrote:Do you mean that i would get the victory screen and not the loss movie?

Btw....i still haven't finished that game...going towards the 1'000 turns.
Yes the end movie is different and not the defeat one when a game ends via the Council.

1000 turns.. that's a pretty epic session!

Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Anguille »

Finally made it! It was an epic game indeed....got elected at turn 1002! About 17 hours of gameplay.