Helping Horizon get more visibility, getting the word out..

General Discussions
Lightzy
Voyager
Voyager

Helping Horizon get more visibility, getting the word out..

Post by Lightzy »

where are the devs? why so few community members? how come nobody knows about this game? is it just way way way too early in dev. for going even semi-public?
There are probably thousands of moo2 revival geeks around

CrispyMouse
Vanguard
Vanguard

Re: Why is this forum dead? gives the game an abandonware vi

Post by CrispyMouse »

Because it is between Christmas and New Years, so they are on break? That would be my guess as they were present just before the holidays started.

FrozenFallout
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FrozenFallout »

The Devs have been all over the forums since the Alpha launch on steam and even before that. The game has had a ton of updates since its Alpha and the start of the Beta. The community is smaller then I would expect and allot of us are not posting up a storm these days. I personally haven't had a ton of time to mess around with the latest update since the holidays have kept me busy.

Due to it being an alpha and now Beta game I think allot of your normal 4x lovers are passing it up as there have been a flood of 4x games to the market via steam as of late. Had this game come out a year or two ago before Endless Space, the Anouncement of GCIII, Star Lords, Star Drive, and other space 4xs that have come out in the past couple years you would see 4x space lovers flocking to this game.

One huge draw I see coming for this game is once tactical combat becomes well more tactical. I have made some posts suggesting how to make tactical combat and ship design a bit more fun for the game. In its current state the game brings a few awesome ideas to the table. One being the tactical combat system that uses one huge tactical map for all space movement and combat which I have never seen before, the down side as of right now is that ships and ship techs aren't that interesting to play in the tactical combat. That I have faith will change and once it does I forsee millions of MOO2 tactical combat loves flocking to this game as only Star Lords is doing Tactical Combat from what I have seen and its nothing near the scope that Horizon is shooting for.

The other thing I love about the game is the living galaxy. Having powerful empires that exist along side with newer space empires and you starting basicly at the bottom and needing to work your way up via Missions and diplo is just awesome. Its more like being the humans from Babylon 5 who have to deal with all the other powerful races in the galaxy but Diplo and quick adaptation along with a fair bit of luck keeps them from falling and even rises them up to the most powerful race in the galaxy (until they get wiped out again after the show stopped, and then back again to super powerful thousands of years later). The idea that you aren't playing a standard 4x game where everyone starts with the same power level and its a fight for colony rush along with other things that happen when everyone is starting from scratch. This allows the AI to be a bit less crazy and also allows for some interesting strategies that you would never do in a normal 4x game. Such as I make all my friends quick by giving away tech that I have that they don't. Normally this is a no go to just give away tech since to do so would give your enemy an edge since you all start at the same low point. However when everyone is more powerful then you, making friends can be much more useful then keeping tech out of a potential enemies hands. Also if you want to play more like Moo2 where everyone has the same starting point just switch to classic.

We may have a small community as of right now but with the holidays and the game being in Beta and just out of Alpha I kinda expect it to be that way. I think once the game is officially launched with a Good AI for Diplo/Combat and has an interesting tactical combat system you will see this game explode.

True_poser
Contributor
Contributor

Post by True_poser »

First of all, there's a pretty active discussion on steam forums.
Well, more active than here.

I guess that's because the forum is for old-timers, so to speak.

There's not much discussion here, because the game basics are really good, but everything else is still half-baked:
- research is made of cumulative bonuses. No actual variability, rare techs that actually do any difference can be added to the starting hand of your race by editing it. Also, it is too slow and too imbalanced.
- tactical combat is still a pain. It's a shame, as it allows even planet-to-planet skirmishes via the missile bases.
- planet management is straightforward. And having an immaterial-trading-finance race allows you to use 100% of your workforce in science.

Also, it's too easy to win.
Should I brag about something like: , , ?
No, everyone can do it.
Should I try to tell, how I got in a war with Silicoids on the other side of the map available via wormhole and telepathically conquered them? The problem is, I was immediately declared war by the Klackons then. I had to rebuild planetary defenses on conquered planets, but while I was doing this, I had to spread my fleet evenly between them and couldn't strike decisively. When I could gather my forces again, I found out that Klackons pushed their tech enough to be impervious to my 2xmissiles cruisers (and an occasional frigate), so I had to rebuild my forces ASAP. Oh, and remember that wormhole from my homespace to the Silicoids'? The endpoint which was closer to my homeplanet got colonized by a race which I couldn't force to have a non-agression with me.
Ok, I shouldn't have told that too (because telepathic+creative is a cheat), but you got the idea. Also, I lost that game.

Well, the list can go on and on, but the bottom line is that the game with all its disadvantages is still fun.
So we sit and hope everything will be fine.

If there is a need in creating an activity on forum, well, I believe, allowing the users to tweak game mechanics may spark much activity.
By testing and examining ideas in modifications - not silly ship recolors or "Hey, ma, I put a pony in space", but adding real advantages and disadvantages of rival technologies, speeding up or slowing down certain processes, etc.

It all sounds real cool and promising, but there are severe and evident drawbacks.
So it goes.

Lightzy
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Lightzy »

There just has to be more life on the forum, it's not so much about the game, but the vibe around the game. If the vibe is good then it's already in a place where it can get more support for it's development, and I see 100% moo2 potential in this game!

mjm800
Voyager
Voyager

Post by mjm800 »

People are posting in the Steam forum for the game, maybe that's where everyone is.

EisenHammer
Explorer
Explorer

Post by EisenHammer »

The 4x space genre has taken some serious hit over the years. And some of the hits were huge like moo3 and SotS2. And there are also alot of other 4x space games that I found to be just overall disappointing. And with most of them I wish I could get my money back. Games like Armada 2526, Starships Unlimited, StarDrive, Star Ruler, Space Empires V, Galactic Civilizations 1 & 2, Imperium Galactica 2, Ascendancy, Reach for the stars 2, Star Wars Rebellion, Star Trek Birth of the Federation and the list goes on.

I can only think of two 4x space games that are worthy to be next to MOO 1 & 2 and that would be Swords of the Stars and Distant Worlds. All the others are light years away.

But I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think a lot of space 4xers may be waiting to see how this game is received before throwing down their money. I know I was disappointed when people who say that this or that game is the next moo2 and it wasn't. And of course Swords of the Stars and Distant Worlds are nothing like MOO but are just as good as MOO in the 4x space genre.

It just no 4x space game really hit it big after MOO2. And it is really sad. It would be like if there were no more Civilization games after Civ2. Or no more 4x fantasy games like Age of Wonders or Heroes of Might & Magic, after Master of Magic.

Right now so far Horizon is looking good, but I have to say the screenshots do not do this game justice. Almost pass on this game because of the way it looked. I'm Glad I didn't.

And hopefully Horizon will be able to put everything together and balance it out as there are some things that I really like about this game. And the tactical combat system is one of them. Space movement and combat are done on one huge map and it is awesome as ships in one battle in a space sector can come in and reinforce or withdraw to another space sector. All I can say is that I hope they keep on working it and release it in good shape.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

I hope you all had happy holidays! :mrgreen:

Grogger took a well deserved week off for Christmas and I myself and Slipsilk was off the grid literally due to an ice storm that knocked out the power in many parts of Toronto for almost a week. LINK

We are happy with the community that we have build here (and on the Steam forums) but you are right Lightzy we need to grow it further, there is an awful lot of people who have not heard about Horizon or don't know much about it. Through word-of-mouth and with the upcoming launch of the game, we hope more people will become aware.

We are dedicated to making Horizon the best it can be now and continue post-launch but it will require the support of more 4x and strategy gamers to do so, so we can sustain or grow development for years to come.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

EisenHammer
Explorer
Explorer

Post by EisenHammer »

I would like to see this game succeed and have many sells so that you will add an expansion to this wonderful 4x game. Turn-based ground combat would be nice. :)

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lithari »

EisenHammer wrote:I would like to see this game succeed and have many sells so that you will add an expansion to this wonderful 4x game. Turn-based ground combat would be nice. :)
I tend to bomb them to the ground, so ground combat is redundant. :-)

CappinCanuck
Voyager
Voyager

Post by CappinCanuck »

Zaimat wrote:I hope you all had happy holidays! :mrgreen:

Grogger took a well deserved week off for Christmas and I myself and Slipsilk was off the grid literally due to an ice storm that knocked out the power in many parts of Toronto for almost a week. LINK
I was going to buy the game anyway but I bought it early just because of your post highlighting the studio was Canadian. You have my support! Can't wait to play the finished product.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Thanks CappinCanuck! We appreciate your support and enjoy the full game shortly!
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf