December 05 2013 - Beta v4.58 - Test branch

Anything related to the test branch versions
Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

December 05 2013 - Beta v4.58 - Test branch

Post by Zaimat »

* Added - New Help screens (F1) with markers that display information as tooltips
* Added - starting planet pollution levels now vary and will affect planet quality
* Added - toxic planets can now be cleaned up and highly polluted planets can turn toxic
* Added - turn Messages for terraforming, pollution and news event for planets turning toxic
* Added - Options Video settings tab is now active

* Changed - Mission related images will no longer show humans when playing other races
* Changed - Text scrolling speed increased on help screens
* Changed - Trait_costs and tech_stats no longer editable in base game (will be available with modding instead, this is necessary for game stability as base files should not be modified)
* Changed - UI buttons graphics to be standard across screens

* Fixed - Picking a previously disabled race will no longer crash the game
* Fixed - reading race templates could sometimes cause the game to crash when starting
* Fixed - pollution level not displaying properly
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

CrispyMouse
Vanguard
Vanguard

Re: December 05 2013 - Beta v4.58 - Test branch

Post by CrispyMouse »

Does cleaning a toxic planet require special technology?

I have been had several toxic planets set to "clean" for several turns and nothing has happened. In that same time other planets have gone from Volcanic to Barren to Metallic.

Thanks for the update.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

With better technology you can clean much faster but currently it's also based on industrial capacity (production) so it's not really working on newly colonized planets which have none.

This will be changing and work more like terraforming so it's just based on technology (and be able then clean a toxic planet before you build a colony).

For the moment you can see the effect by neglecting ecology on a heavily populated advanced planet that turns toxic and then you clean it back up. It's a slow process with low tech levels but as techs get higher they can produce waste much faster and the clean-up.

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lithari »

Well, So far, i have capped my research into majority of everything that involves the enviroment, industry and the techs that increase the cleaning process and it doesn't clean it at all.

The population of a toxic world colony is only 50k regardless of the planet size from what i can tell and i have the highest level of industry on the toxic worlds and none are getting cleaned, not even very slowly.

I can handle slowly, but right now, it doesn't do anything, maybe you missed a line of code that says to clean or something, it can happen.

EDIT: I tried the Tantik and it is indeed a problem, even when the planet's max population is 750m people, it still won't go above 50k and the toxic stuff will not clean.

CrispyMouse
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by CrispyMouse »

I can clean a toxic planet, takes about three or four turns, with just the first level of industry built on a freshly colonize planet.

Granted I choose the Adaptive trait, so my population can grow above the 50k limit.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Toxic planets can't sustain population growth, the penalties are too high so if you build a colony the population will not grow beyond 50K. The only exception is for races that either ignore pollution (immortal/immaterial) and eco-adaptive races (more resistant to pollution).

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lithari »

So, its a specific race thing, so its still a 'ignore toxic worlds' type of thing still?

CrispyMouse
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by CrispyMouse »

Yeah...
I found that my converting Toxic planets was in a game started under 4.57 not 4.58. Even with adaptive and immortal my Toxic planets don't grow in a game started with 4.58.

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lithari »

Such a pity.

CrispyMouse
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by CrispyMouse »

I'm not sure that eco-adaptive and immortal/immaterial work together. When I have both traits, the population growth on a toxic planet is around -90% (no growth above the 50k).

With just immaterial, the population growth is over 100% (but still no growth above the 50k).

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lithari »

The thing that is quite funny is that, the only situation where you are able to clean toxic worlds is when you really don't need to do so....have you noticed that?

I mean, ever since customization of the race could be done, i have always made sure to be immaterial so i can make sure to put another building instead of food, like trading or tourism or something.

I can make my food production sucky because well, i don't need the stuff, ground combat and boarding too, cause you can't truely assimulate them like the borg can, so i just bomb them into dust....i do look forward to that trait, assuming it gets put in there at all.

I am sure once it becomes more about the tech level of the terraforming tech, it will turn toxic worlds into a possible world for non-ecoadaptives to use.