Manual

General Discussions
Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Manual

Post by Anguille »

I think it's important to consider writting a large manual that covers and explains all the aspects of the game. I think that many did not understand everything in Horizon 1.
I may not post so much...but i am here watching!

Kuntari rule the galaxy: an Horizon AAR

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Manual

Post by Zaimat »

The Horizon 1 manual is about 50 pages or so LINK. I would be interested to know how many people who got the game read it and if they found it helpful.

I wrote it and I wouldn't mind if someone did a better job at writing it. ;) But it's meant to be an introduction, easy to understand and not get too deep in details.

One problem with manuals is they need to be constantly reviewed/updated when the game/mechanics get updated which is very likely with Horizon 2 if we continue development for a long-time post-release.

So I think I'm still in favor of in-game tooltips to provide details with a tutorial/manual for introduction to general concepts.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Anguille »

Thanks. I can only speak for myself but the physical manual was on my bed table for many many years...i've read it in all possible directions. ;). The manual is indeed well done but the game is fairly complex as well.

Of course, i am old school (born in 1971) and still have my physical manuals for Master or Orion (70 pages), Master of Orion (156 pages), Reach for the Stars (80 pages), Imperium Galactica 2 (124 pages) and Birth of the Federation (160 pages) just to mention a few.

But as you said, i also believe that in-game tooltips are crucial for that kind of game. I just hope people will understand the new game and see it's beauty.
I may not post so much...but i am here watching!

Kuntari rule the galaxy: an Horizon AAR

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

That's great that you were able to get a physical copy of the game. I also have the boxes and physical manuals for all those games except IG2. A different but awesome era of gaming, I don't know that we will ever be able to make a physical box again for our new games but it would be cool to do a physical manual or guide.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Martok
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Martok »

Yeah, I don't imagine we'll ever see physical manuals make a comeback, but I do miss those days. I still have my manuals for Birth of the Federation and the 2000 Reach for the Stars remake/sequel. I *would* still have the manual for my original copy of Imperium Galactica II, if I hadn't lost it -- box, CD, manual, everything (I think that will rankle me until my dying day - grrr).

In the meantime -- and for Horizon 2, specifically -- I agree with your idea to include an in-game tutorial. Those are often invaluable, especially for introducing a player to the basics needed to understand & play the game. And of course, you can never have too many tooltips. ;)
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal