Galaxy generation

General Discussions
Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Galaxy generation

Post by Anguille »

I am curious about the options that will be available for the galaxy generation. Will there be different shapes? How many stars/planets will the different sizes have (biggest having 240 stars, right) ? I know you mentionned 4 different sizes.
I may not post so much...but i am here watching!

Kuntari rule the galaxy: an Horizon AAR

Martok
Vanguard
Vanguard

Re: Galaxy generation

Post by Martok »

I'm also curious if we'll be able to choose things like galaxy richness (minerals, resources, etc.), the frequency of habitable planets (at least those that don't require expensive terraforming first), frequency of "NPC's", etc.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

We currently have Spiral Galaxy shapes with it being configurable between 2 to 8 arms. The more arms selected will result into a more circular and evenly spaced cluster of stars.

The generator is completely procedural so there is nearly infinite possibilities with stars placement (including faction starting positions), the Generation Seed can be saved to re-use it again if you like it for future games.

The 4 galaxy sizes are common presets that I've setup that define some of the parameters to give a map of certain size, based on the number of stars as input. Large size is setup for 240 stars but you could set the number of stars to anything really within reason and it will override the preset and generate it. Performance can become a real issue with a lot of stars, planets and ships in the late game so we have to be mindful of that.

Planets per system is limited to a maximum of 10, you can configure the maximum and the generator will not go over that limit. This works like in Horizon 1.

Galaxy richness, frequency of habitable planets, research speed, frequency of "NPC's", terrain generation setting, a game difficulty setting and some other options are not yet configurable but will be added.

More on Galaxy size was touched on here previously: LINK
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Anguille »

Thanks. This sounds excellent.
I may not post so much...but i am here watching!

Kuntari rule the galaxy: an Horizon AAR