Employement on planets

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
User avatar
Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard
Posts: 247
Location: Kuntaria

Employement on planets

Post by Anguille »

I still have some problems understanding the aspects of workforce on a planet:

For example:

33% Workforce. What are the other 67% doing? Unemployed or is it the entire population (children, olds etc.)? Can we see somewhere how many people are unemployed? My question is also related to when should we upgrade farms, industry or laboraties. What is the link between number of population and quality of the buildings. Will the best research center with small population be better than a basic one with a huge population? My question is what is the multiplication between the values in the planet view.
I may not post so much...but i am here watching!

Kuntari rule the galaxy: an Horizon AAR

User avatar
Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team
Posts: 1393
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Employement on planets

Post by Zaimat »

The workforce is the % of the population that is actively engaged in producing (food/industry/research), defined as farmers/workers/scientists.

For humans, they begin with 33% workforce, the remaining 67% don't contribute as they are too young/non-adults/going to school, those retired/elderly or the sick and unemployed etc.

The distribution of the working population (the 33%) is then distributed between the jobs available (farming/industry/research). Industry and research require buildings before jobs are available. Farming jobs depends if the planet has atmosphere, so may or may not require a building for jobs.

So provided there are jobs available in one of farming/industry/research : the workforce will split first based on fulfilling the food requirement of the planet, everyone will become farmers to produce enough food. If there is enough food (through local production or food imported from other planets) the remaining workforce will only then split between industry and research based on the building levels.

Farming buildings don't have any negative impact on workforce, since the workforce will automatically move to industry or research but to maximize industry or research you have to focus on those types of buildings and reduce or remove the other type.

I hope that clarifies it, this is one of the more obscure mechanics in Horizon 1 and it could use more clarity in the game.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

User avatar
Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard
Posts: 247
Location: Kuntaria

Re: Employement on planets

Post by Anguille »

Zaimat wrote: I hope that clarifies it, this is one of the more obscure mechanics in Horizon 1 and it could use more clarity in the game.
Thanks for the clarifications. What is still obscure to me is how the multiplications are dones (population x (buildings x improvements). The question is really to know when it makes sense to build an improvement or not based on the population. In Horizon 1, planets develop slowly (Main Planet and older colonies have lots more population). I am mostly guessing and build improvements on my bigger planets first.

Anyway, will be great if it is clearer in Horizon 2.
I may not post so much...but i am here watching!

Kuntari rule the galaxy: an Horizon AAR

User avatar
Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team
Posts: 1393
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Employement on planets

Post by Zaimat »

Anguille wrote:What is still obscure to me is how the multiplications are dones (population x (buildings x improvements). The question is really to know when it makes sense to build an improvement or not based on the population.
The formula is basically as you say it but a lot more complex due to modifiers from all the different sources.

But with regards to your question on when to know whether to build or upgrade:

a. Affordability based on current empire treasury
b. Where to direct the planetary workforce (my previous post) which you control via buildings
c. You can see the building bonus if you hover over the current or upgrade building name. Typically each building level doubles previous production. You also see the current production amount which can help you decide if upgrading will be worth it.

As you noted your main colonies with large populations are going to be the most productive but you can also use the current production of a building district to find which colonies will benefit more from upgrades.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf