Understanding farming

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
True_poser
Contributor
Contributor

Understanding farming

Post by True_poser »

Last checked on 1.0.74, may be outdated with me being too lazy

That seems to be quite a recurring topic, so I made some research and a graph.

In game your population spreads automatically between farming and everything else.
That's because no one in their right mind wants to starve, so food's first, scienceing and industrying second.

Your main goal is to make percent of farmers as low as possible, so you'll have enough population for interesting stuff.
How is it calculated?

TL;DR* - it depends on your workforce, on your farming building, on tech related to farming** and on your race stats.
It does not depend on your population or difficulty level.

While you can multiply techs bonuses, bonuses from buildings required some calculating***.
I didn't dig top farming in latest version, so I didn't include it.

Anyway, to graph (without any bonuses from techs):

Yep, if you have workforce lower than certain level your colony will starve forever or, if it's population is 50k, simply won't develop.

As default workforce percent for most races is 31-33%%, it makes sense to upgrade to hydroponic farms ASAP, at least on homeworld.

When creating a race, never ever set farming to poor, as you'll starve from start.
At least, not without fanatical, good morale, terraforming, robotics or something else mixed in sufficient proportion.

farmers_percent=1/(20*workforce_percent*building_multiplier*farming_tech_multiplier)

**) Techs that give bonus to farming are: robotics (x1.5 at 10 lvl), intelligent drones (x1.37), gravity generator (x1.32), terraforming (x1.5) and replicators (x1.47).
Total multiplier therefore ranges from 1 to 5.98.

***) 0 level is no facilities - 0.08 multiplier
1 level is farming facilities - 0.17 multiplier
2 level is hydroponic farms - 0.25 multiplier
3 level is agriculture center - 0.34 multiplier
Last edited by True_poser on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eidolad
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Understanding farming

Post by eidolad »

Really dumb question: but I see that a planet "can buy food from traders to make up deficits".....so why would anyone starve? I can understand that without food surplus the population won't grow.

At this point in the game development, I am completely ignoring food except for a few select terran/poor planets that set as "food producers" to great a "surplus for the empire" as an imaginary mechanism to give the "food traders" something to trade with.

Ok actually I'm food challenged:)

True_poser
Contributor
Contributor

Post by True_poser »

I've never noticed food trade doing something except for small revenue.
They'd better have a food fight with that surplus.

eidolad
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by eidolad »

Thanks...I guess I'm dodging the bullet by having average farming in my race builds...and that's all I need worry about.

True_poser
Contributor
Contributor

Post by True_poser »

Good farming gives you a jumpstart.

Let's take boring humans.

Average farming + average research equals to 7116 RPs at the first turn.
Average farming + good research equals to 8916 RPs.
Good farming + average research equals to 8903 RPs plus 2.6 better industry.

Seddrik
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Seddrik »

Why not have surpluses on one planet be able to ship (automatically) to other planets in need. This would require open lanes (not blockaded) of course. If you do this, interdependence is more involved, and you can specialize planets more. Also, the bonuses that allow you to make races that require no food are... over powered IMO. That should not be something every race can just select by shuffling the racial picks. Its a huge advantage with no real downside.