Quick question about weapons?

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
jorgen_cab
Citizen
Citizen

Quick question about weapons?

Post by jorgen_cab »

Weapons such as lasers comes on light, regular and heavy. The game does a very poor job of convincing me when and why to bother with what type I use and put where on my ships.

For example... when looking at the numbers and the information given then light laser is better than heavy lasers since they do more damage per size and power used.

Can you explain a little better why we want to use different types of mounts and the reason for doing so other than for RP reasons?

Also, do weapons actually have a fire arc, I did get the impression that they do?
If so, where and how do I know how they fire?

Gray Carlyle
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Quick question about weapons?

Post by Gray Carlyle »

You can see it on the design screen. the 2 top wepaon slots are for the rear, left and right is clear, I think and the below the ship listed slots are for front weapons. And the firing arcs works in combat, tested it.

jorgen_cab
Citizen
Citizen

Post by jorgen_cab »

Yes, I noticed that some weapons could not shoot and that the target was outside it's arc. But I'm not fully convinced that arcs perhaps has to do with not just the placement but also what kind of weapon. A light weapon has a wider arc than a heavy one for example. But I'm not sure... I will investigate further.

But what I'm after is more transparency in the game in these matters. Both in the design screen and in Tactical combat.
I also would like more information about how weapons differ from each other (other than damage points) and what impact that has in combat. Otherwise it is hard understand how to use the weapons in combat.

I also think it should be harder to accidentally fire on your own ships. I have done that several times by mistake and it's quite annoying. Sure friendly fire could be realistic, but some of us will do that more than others. ;)

Grogger
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Grogger »

You are correct in thinking that different mounts affect the arcs. Light mounts can fire in all directions, while the regular and heavy mount can only fire in the general direction they are facing (so, if they're on the front mount, it can only fire at things generally in front of you).

It would certainly be nice if we can make this more obvious.

As for attacking your own ships, this should be disabled in the current version (0.0.2)

Zalthun
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Zalthun »

Grogger wrote:You are correct in thinking that different mounts affect the arcs. Light mounts can fire in all directions, while the regular and heavy mount can only fire in the general direction they are facing (so, if they're on the front mount, it can only fire at things generally in front of you).

It would certainly be nice if we can make this more obvious.

As for attacking your own ships, this should be disabled in the current version (0.0.2)

Thanks for the info! I have another question though!
Do the heavy weapons fire a greater distance, or are they superior in other ways? I did notice that you could just mount two light lasers instead of one regular in some cases, and unless the regular one had some sort of improvement in range, accuracy, damage, crit, or something (forgive me if I've missed this), then it's a no-brainer to go all-light all the time. More arc, same damage, etc...
Emperor PayPatine out!

Zalthun
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Zalthun »

I did find out something just now. Apparently only HEAVY weapons allow for a planetary bombardment. You can send down ground troops, or you can sip your coffee while you scorch the earth with heavy lasers.
Emperor PayPatine out!

Traker
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Traker »

I have not seen any railgun, guass guns, and different armour types yet such as refractive armor, polorized hull plating etc, I just like playing with ships that have lots of armors and big boom guns :lol:

EisenHammer
Explorer
Explorer

Post by EisenHammer »

Yeah... Will we see more weapons be added to the game later on? Stuff like graviton beam, phasors, tachyon beam, stellar converter, mauler device, plasma torpedoes, and anti-mater bombs. 8)

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lithari »

There are a lot of weapons in the game and different armor, although I do like the bio-energy armor, it absorbs like 70% or so of energy weaponry, though missiles are considered physical or in this case Kinetic damage.

So far, the best combo of ship parts is Organic engine, Organic power generator, shields and bio-energy armor, so even if the weaponry gets through the shields, 70-75% of the damage is absorbed by the armor, its like having 2 shields, unless you get hit by missiles....assuming they are not considered energy damage.

But I now know that I will be using heavy beams for my bombardments. lol

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lithari »

EisenHammer wrote:Yeah... Will we see more weapons be added to the game later on? Stuff like graviton beam, phasors, tachyon beam, stellar converter, mauler device, plasma torpedoes, and anti-mater bombs. 8)
MoO2 fan eh? lol

EisenHammer
Explorer
Explorer

Post by EisenHammer »

Oh...yeah...major MOO fan. :)

Delta_V
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Delta_V »

What is moo?

Madbiologist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Madbiologist »

Don't know, apparently... some giant space cow... that moos in space and has addictive milk that makes people speak about... to savour the moo.

Seriously, it is a Masters of Orion. Usually people refer to Maters of Orion 2, but it can mean the 1st game or the whole series (which some fans claim adamantly only had 2 titles in it). They coined the phrase 4X, even if Sid's Civilization came out before (and now also carries the title of a 4X game), it was MoO that first used the term to describe itself. The second one (MoO 2) is considered to set the benchmark for the genre by quite a few if not by many.

It is to 4X as Mario is to platformers. Now I shall be tarred and feathered for somehow managing to put: 4X, platformer, Mario, and MoO in one sentence.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Madbiologist wrote:It is to 4X as Mario is to platformers. Now I shall be tarred and feathered for somehow managing to put: 4X, platformer, Mario, and MoO in one sentence.
I guess this wouldn't be a good time for me to suggest we all join hands and sing Kumbaya?
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Fairin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fairin »

*offers a paw to the guy to the left and right*

does it have to be kumbaya?
=(^.-.^)=

" A person can look for their one true love and find them, but could they look like the one true love for the person they find. " - Fairin

Delta_V
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Delta_V »

Madbiologist wrote:Don't know, apparently... some giant space cow... that moos in space and has addictive milk that makes people speak about... to savour the moo.

Seriously, it is a Masters of Orion. Usually people refer to Maters of Orion 2, but it can mean the 1st game or the whole series (which some fans claim adamantly only had 2 titles in it). They coined the phrase 4X, even if Sid's Civilization came out before (and now also carries the title of a 4X game), it was MoO that first used the term to describe itself. The second one (MoO 2) is considered to set the benchmark for the genre by quite a few if not by many.

It is to 4X as Mario is to platformers. Now I shall be tarred and feathered for somehow managing to put: 4X, platformer, Mario, and MoO in one sentence.
Mad, I was attempting to be a sarcastic smartazz with a hope of humor but I don't guess anyone got it :) . I know what MOO and MOO2 are but I still thank you for you kind explanation.

Quazil
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Quazil »

Delta_V wrote:What is moo?
MoO is short for Master of Orion, the Space x4 equivalent of Civilizations.
I like the first one the best but many people regard MoO2 as the best space x4 ever made.
MoO 3 was a disaster and other space X4 games have fallen short.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Orion

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

Can you explain a little better why we want to use different types of mounts and the reason for doing so other than for RP reasons?
You can consider Light mount weapons as point defense. If you have a string of missiles coming toward you and it only has medium and heavy mounted weapons then you can expect to loose that ship very quickly as missiles do heavy damage. Light mounts are also ineffective against planets.

Medium mounts can hit fighters and have longer distances, but not so good against the missiles. Additionally, they have a set arc

Heavy mounts are well... Heavy. They have extreme ranges, and do a good amount of damage but are ineffective against missiles.

As far as designing goes, I have found that it is best to use as many of the mounts as you can. This way if one set of weapons miss then then you still have plenty more sets you can fire.

It is also best to always have a ship with at least 4 missiles that can be fired as this will not only redirect AI fire, but has a good chance of blowing up ships.

Depending on the race you are fighting against it is possible for them to be nearly immune to missiles so for this reason you need the heavy beams.
Also, do weapons actually have a fire arc, I did get the impression that they do?
Yes. Heavy and medium mounts have a 90 degree arc (or 1/4 of a circle) while light mounts,missiles, and torpedoes can fire in any direction.

Hope this helps you out , oh and by the way, if you can always turn your ship another direction to fire your other weapons if you have the movement and energy.
I have not seen any railgun, guass guns, and different armour types yet such as refractive armor, polorized hull plating etc, I just like playing with ships that have lots of armors and big boom gun

Depending on your game and how much research you put into it you can get a vast array of weaponry. Too much sometimes.

As for armor, duranium is the best.
what is moo
The first most awesome 4x game on the planet.
I still have the original MOO CD somewhere. It was the first pc game I owned in my life. I remember having to make a "boot disk" for my pc so that I could play it.

-edit-
Ah, here is a photo of my MOO cd.

The second most awesome 4x game was space empires 3 (image of original cd below) which you can still grab at malfador.com I think (works on windows XP)

keller~

Markkyss

Post by Markkyss »

Okay , what is the most painful weapons of this game?? is there a rare r legendary or whatever that has a great damage??

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

That depends on how you look at it. There are certain torpedoes which only take 2 spaces at level 1. Now the average missile costs 5 spaces at level 1 so that should give you an idea.
keller~