Player Expansion Recipe - Nerf Needed?

General Discussions
Wenla
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Player Expansion Recipe - Nerf Needed?

Post by Wenla »

Lithari wrote:Well, I personally don't really play for the challenge, i see no point in the challenge of a game....its a game, winning it regardless of challenge would get me nothing in the real world, so why bother trying to make it harder to play? Its my opinion on this.

When it comes to the colonizer reuse thing, i always have it set to dismantle the ship when you colonize a planet, by the time i have a single trade and/or tourism building built on the homeworld and colony, my profit goes sky-high.

When it comes to choosing which worlds to colonize, i just colonize everything i can get my hands on, toxic can be cleaned and non-terran worlds can be colonized.
I could have written every word my self.
You have to have a vision before you can define your strategy

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

We've changed the supply mechanic with today's update and this should slow down/address the early expansion while the new economy will make it tough to purchase early-to-mid game. If you find it too easy or too hard you can also change the game difficulty setting which affects the player's income.

We have left supply bay bonuses (though reduced) for exploration and for doing storyline missions travelling across the galaxy beyond the normal logistics range.

As always let us know what you think after trying the changes.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Darkeus
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Darkeus »

I am loving the new economy. :)

Wenla
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Wenla »

Darkeus wrote:I am loving the new economy. :)
Me too. Now you actually have to think of it...
You have to have a vision before you can define your strategy

eidolad
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by eidolad »

Due to the trickle of cash coming in at the beginning, thus far my first few games in the new patch...

...have had an initial player decision tree in the new economy as:

a) expand first? or blow 10M on starbase so I can refit to latest tech then start on everything else

(expansion has always been the initial choice. some sort of random bad event possibility (in future patch?) that overcomes my 6-10 scout guard fleet might change that...)

b) *after* starting the starbase build, *then* refit/redesign the thing to have heavy weapons, as it should. need to start asap and an immediate redesign adds 1-2 million for what i want on it

c) other phases for homeworld are: build shipyard, or build missile base

...i've yet to have a serious enemy attack on my homeworld so I usually choose the shipyard first.

True_poser
Contributor
Contributor

Post by True_poser »

I don't like some stars on the edge of supply range unavailable to travel to in certain cases (when the shortest path between a ship and a star leaves supply space at some point).
I'd like the ship's route to trace the edge of supply space in this case.

Well, while logistics > 3 usually makes supply bays obsolete, I mostly like the new travel system.
However, if you're unlucky to start near someone aggressive and you lose your first war, there's no chance that you have a backwater colony that can be your new capital and ensure your phoenix-like comeback.
No, you lost, end of story.

The new income system is as nontransparent to me as was the old one.
Ok, I'm trying to understand it, I build models and graphs, etc, but my point still stands - on every difficulty level after a certain point I can't help but to bathe in money.
Billions, trillions, what the hell. I'm buying motherships on newly conquered planets like there's no tomorrow.

eidolad
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by eidolad »

I've found in a couple of instances that I had to mod my colony ships to have *two* supply bays to reach surveyed targets. Perhaps in 20% of the game played.

* spoiler below if first time playing, don't read **

In the game version 1.0.0.93 the early expansion is I==Win for the human player, with an example "10 pocket empire" strategy:

1. queue: 6 scouts for homeworld defense, 2 scouts for scouting, 1 colony ship, all L1 buildings on homeworld. Clean pollution in between the building of the first scouts.

2. rush to 10 planets, Terran large/huge/abundant preferred

3. be nice and have trade treaties with everyone if possible

4. save up 30M to start the grand scale factories on homeworld, and/or for emergency defense purchase if someone goes to early war

5. homeworld starbase (10-12M)

6. homeworld shipyard (20M)

7. always have 30M in reserve for emergency defense purchase (missile base, or example)

8. When L2 factories and Trade buildings are @30 turns to complete...begin queuing them in pairs on select larger worlds, then the rest. Build L2 research building when possible.

9. While homeworld starbase/shipyard are building, begin missile base building on critical worlds (huge/abundant future ship factory planets)

10. Homeworld will have DD/CA/BB ships building constantly. Objective: 10 combat ships, and 5 transports (100K troops) for initial fleet.

11. Someone nearby *will* declare war.

a) capture their homeworld

b) capture several choice worlds, if any

c) sl*g the rest (? for some reason the forum editor doesn't like the world s l a g)

The AI has not countered this setup...and only 1 in ten games have I see any rival even large enough to pose a challenge. Not because I'm a genius...I have no clue what the AI is doing with their time...there is nothing else to do *but* expand in the early game...as fast as possible to a target size. In the early game I just do research focus as desired...colony growth happens on it own...so the game is all about pushing colony ships to desired planets before the bad guys.

For my next game or two, I'm going to slow to a "5 pocket empire" size to see if the AI can keep up:

a. rush to 5 planets

b. homeworld with grand scale factory, starbase, and shipyard

c. build a fleet of 10 "destroyers" (size 2) ships and 5 troop transports. Sounds daunting given the low income of that few planets.